Franklin, TN – EPC Cost Estimator
April 7, 2020
Position Title: EPC Cost Estimator
Reports to: Director, Engineering
Location: Franklin, Tennessee
FLSA exemption status: Exempt
Aries Clean Energy is developing a pipeline of waste to energy gasification projects at sites across the US and is looking to hire a detailed-oriented, driven, and resourceful EPC Cost Estimator to prepare Owners’ project estimates from conceptual to detailed engineering by enabling design reuse and streamlined workflow. Under direct supervision of the Director of Engineering, the cost estimator facilitates and coordinates the development of accurate, timely and detailed cost estimates for the execution of capital projects in the front-end engineering through EPC and commissioning phases and coordinates and/or participates in the coordination of project development and implementation as a member of various project teams.
** PLEASE SEND RESUME TO INFO@ARIESENERGY.COM – thank you **
Roles and Responsibilities
- Prepare order of magnitude (OOM) estimates for development projects and semi definitive estimates by analyzing costs, materials, labor, bid documentation, and specifications associated with each project.
- Review drawings and specifications to determine costs and assists in value management on projects
- Evaluate third-party estimates and tracks market costs to validate estimates.
- Work with engineers to interpret blueprints or conceptual drawings to prepare time, cost, materials, and labor estimates.
- Perform accurate material take offs and estimates project hours from engineering drawings.
- Plan and prepare project budgets.
- Track projects throughout its course and recommend budget adjustments.
- Implement and maintain the cost estimating database(s) using various software applications.
- Collaborate with project managers in the preparation of contracts and subcontracts and the negotiation of revisions, changes, and additions to contractual agreements
- Provide preliminary project implementation and expenditure schedules based on the estimates
- Participate in the analysis of proposed and pending capital funding requests.
- Assure estimates are completed in a timely manner and free of omissions or hidden contingency.
- Analyze completed projects to compare estimated costs to actual costs and determine the reason for any discrepancies
- Serve as subject-matter expert to internal and external constituents as it relates to cost estimating.
- Identify cost trends to assist management in cost reduction and process improvement efforts
- Prepare reports, cost and expenditure statements and other necessary documentation at regular intervals for the duration of the project.
- Prepares and maintains a directory of suppliers, contractors and subcontractors.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or GED with at least 6 years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
- Completed degree from an accredited institution in construction management or related field g., the American Society of Professional Estimators(ASPE)
- Construction, Utility, or Oil and Gas Industry experience preferred
- Experience work for an engineering and/or construction contractor company
- Cost estimating experience related to equipment/fabrication environment will be an added benefit
- Proven track record of accurate project cost estimates in the front-end engineering and EPC phases
- Experience working with EPC project management, engineering, procurement, and construction to accurately estimate projects and prepare cost estimate proposals
Knowledge and Skills
- Knowledge of current applied techniques in estimating from conceptual state to detailed estimating.
- Knowledge of cost estimating software to create a database for cost estimating and forecasting.
- Knowledge and strong computer skills and proficiency with MS Office products.
- Knowledge of Federal, State, and local building codes, ordinances, and regulations will be a benefit.
- Skill in the use of estimating software programs, such as Aspen Capital Cost Estimator
- Ability to read and interpret plans and specifications.
- Ability to understand and follow complex, detailed technical instructions.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to communicate technical information to non-technical personnel.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Detail oriented (e.g., project plans involve a large degree of detailed information, and cost-estimating mistakes can be potentially costly)
- Ability to multi-task and handle multiple projects.
- Effective written and oral communications.
- Work with minimum supervision, a self-starter, able to meet goals and deadlines on own initiative.
- Must be able to function well in a fast-paced environment under demanding deadlines and changing priorities and conditions.
- Team oriented (e.g., ability to contribute as a team member through a positive “can-do” attitude).
- Mathematical Reasoning (i.e. the ability to choose the right mathematical methods or formulas to solve a problem)
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. The contents of this description are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills required of personnel so classified.