Process Controls Engineer
January 21, 2020
Position Title: Process Controls Engineer
Reports to: Director, Engineering
Location: Franklin, Tennessee
FLSA exemption status: Exempt
Job Description - Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Aries Clean Energy is developing a pipeline of waste recycling bio-energy projects at sites across the US. The Controls Engineer will be responsible for supporting and developing the front end engineering packages and EPC detailed engineering phase work for the Engineering department from the home office base under the direction of the Director of Engineering. Key areas of work will include designing process controls systems, HMI creation, PLC programming, P&IDs, and preparing cost estimates.
Key Responsibilities and Important Duties
- Primary responsibility will be supporting home office engineering package development and detailed design, including preparing designs and design information for FEL 1, 2, and 3 packages, i.e. controls design, P&IDs, cause and effect diagrams, PLC programming, etc.
- Work with the process engineers to develop the proper controls scheme for new projects
- Perform controls engineering tasks as needed to ensure design goals are met
- Develop understanding of Aries’s downdraft and fluidized bed gasifier designs and their controls requirements
- Design and implement Human Machine Interface for DCS
- Specify system architecture for DCS
- Build relationships with Aries team members, contractors, vendors, and suppliers
- Prepare documents such as control logic diagrams, cause and effect diagrams, and consequence of deviation documents
- Design and program PLC logic for plant control
- Travel up to 30%, including on-call and weekends if needed at certain times of year to meet project requirements for site visits, site support, commissioning, startup, project team meetings, meetings with regulatory entities, site inspections, and/or meetings with clients and vendors.
- Specify gas analysis system requirements
- Obtain costing data, prepare and manage RFQ’s from Vendor and sub-vendors
- Prepare bid tabs and review proposals
- Field support work including startup and commissioning and troubleshooting
- Minimum Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or related field
- 7+ years working experience
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Experience in designing and implementing control system designs
- Experience with designing controls hardware such as control panels
- Experience in troubleshooting and improving controls installations
- Experience designing and implementing control logic, especially PLC programming
- Experience with control network design and management
- Startup and commissioning experience
- Experience with data historians and reporting
- Excellent innovative problem-solving skills
- Good report writing and presentation skills
- Cost estimating experience for controls related equipment
- Experience in creating HMI diagrams
- Experience with wireless instruments a plus
- Motor controller knowledge a plus
- Must be able to function well in a fast-paced environment under demanding deadlines and changing priorities and conditions.
- Ability to multi-task, maintain flexibility and work independently with minimal supervision.
- Effective written/verbal communication
- Attention to detail
- Analytical thinking
- Assertive self-starter who takes initiative, versatile, and service-oriented mentality
- Self-motivated to accomplish the individual and company goals and objectives
- Team oriented / ability to work in a team (e.g. ability to contribute as a team member through a positive “can-do” attitude).
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. The contents of this description are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills required of personnel so classified.